Sunday, June 1, 2008

Your mom's an inner workings!

Not a great deal of progress since the last post here. The whole encounter thing works like a charm now and I started the next required component for combat encounters... the monsters! So far the data structure is in place that will hold the monster prototypes (from which the actual monsters are to be generated) and I'm nearly done with the part where they're loaded from a separate file.

Which reminds me...

I was thinking about how the game's root folder was getting sort of full and starting sorting stuff, dumping it neatly in folders like "bmp" and "levels" when I figured that it would be SO easy to just create an alternate version of these folders and thus allowing users to easily mod the game to include new levels, different monsters and new tilesets. So I dumped all those neat folders in a base folder and decided to include full-on mod support. It should just be a matter of making the parameters, the one indicating where to find the files, slighly more dynamic by adding a 'base folder name' part which can be changed to any value thus changing from which "mod" folder the contents are being loaded.

A brilliantly simple solution.

So I just got to figure out how the player will swap between mods (menu, command prompt) and how the program logic will fit in that picture (will it preread the folders content and offer each folder as a possible mod?) and we've got mod support!

The whole monster/encounter bit is still main priority, but when I get enough of boring procedure writing I can always alternate between that and exciting new feature coding! Woo!

No comments: