Monday, June 23, 2008

Peeking under the hood

Unlike what you might think by now I've been quite busy, both with real life and to a (surprisingly good) degree with my code.

I've got the Arena loading pretty much nailed, save a few finishing touches, and I'm almost ready to move on to the next bit. I have decided that this will be error handling. Currently I'm just pasting crap to the error log that SDL generates automatically, but I keep finding this approach inappropriate and very unprofessional... not to mention it's making my code look all cluttered.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"A code snippet of what will soon be a memory of bad error handling"

So I've decided to write a procedure dedicated to error handling. Not only will this save this considerable amounts of code but it will also allow me to easily output everything uniformly so it's easier to browse through the error log. I've also decided to output a general program log that keeps track of routine stuff, non-routine stuff and debug information for errors. Although I may just report the error in the program log and stuff the debug information in the error log... I haven't decided yet... though, now that I think about it, I think I prefer the latter approach.

Also, I'm changing my update day to monday as that's more convenient and increases the odds I will actually post an update. (...like I should! Bad demotivated Rider! Bad!!!)

No comments: