Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fail due to gaming

Alright, so Wednesday passed without notice. I did think of updating with the current state of affairs yesterday, but wouldn't you know it... the moment I decided to do that is the moment blogspot/blogger decides to update and disable the creation of new posts.

I missed this time's deadline. I realize, after the fact, that it may have been a bit too optimistic to think I could have some basic encounters ready already, mostly because the following needs to be in place before an encounter can be had (this taking into account the order of things in which I choose to do them to avoid too much rewriting of code due to bad design choices):

  • There need to be monsters (I don't even have a monster class yet)
  • Encounter areas need to be defined (Location, which monsters you can find there)
  • Encounter areas need to trigger encounters on set intervals (or random intervals, haven't decided yet)
  • The encounter needs to trigger the new battlegrounds to be made (and trigger random monster creation)
All this is probably a good indicator for me to think through my deadlines better. Now I could attribute my failing to that entirely (and you wouldn't be the wiser) but I admit that there was something else that kept me from my work... that being Trackmania. This litte (well...little...) game is just too addicting... and I don't even LIKE racegames...

So the coming days will be geared towards setting up the monster class and trying to get an encounter going on. I won't be having a deadline this time around, but I'll be sure to post a progress update around the weekend to keep you informed, and myself motivated to keep this all up.

Until then!

No comments: