Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Small fry

This update will be brief, I've been busy this week.

I spent most of the time implementing and, consequently, fixing smooth camera scrolling. It now works in a way that I like, so that's covered. In doing this I also found and fixed some bugs related to tiles and the player character's position relative to the screen's offset. I also started to implement items when I realised I only had 1 static look for the player character. Being a bit OCD about stuff like that, I started figuring out how many more frames I need to 'reserve' to cover all the player's animation before I can start dedicating space on my tile sheets for non-player objects. For this reason the player character currently has arms. An animation system will follow shortly.

I also started work on redoing my level implementation. As it is now the level is just a number of pointer arrays for the tileset. Another array was going to be added for goodies when I realised this would create a whole cluster of level specific variables and those would probably have a better home in their own class. So I'm writing that and reworking the rest of the program to use this new level class.

Progress is good. I'm feeling comfortable with how things are moving along.

No comments: