Monday, February 7, 2011

It's beginning to look it

This past week I've done a ton of work on Cubewars. First off I started doing some reorganizations with the code. I created a class for the level (rather than having all the variables for it lying around) and updated all the code relating to that to take advantage of this. I also moved the Player class to it's own source file as it was getting a bit big. For this to work I had to remove it's dependency on the tile class (which it interacts with for collision checking) and made the whole thing a lot more clean as a result.

Yesterweek I also mentioned that I was working on an animation subsystem. This is now finished (for the legs at least) and I even went so far as to have the legs animate independently. This is really great as I just need to draw frames of 1 leg walking and I can just duplicate and offset where it is in the animation for the other leg. Presto! You now have a walking animation. I already drew some frames but am not too happy about them yet, so I will end up redoing those before release.

I finished the 'goody' class, which will represent objects that are beneficial to the player. Such things include health, lives and items that increase your score (yes, I'm going down that path). I had a bit of a scuffle with this but it works perfectly now barring a minor issue that I discovered while working on the HUD. Oh didn't I mention that already? We have a proper HUD now. On it are the things I just mentioned that can be affected right now. I spent some time frogging with it before I found the right orientation for all the individual components, but I'm pretty pleased with where it is now.

Also, just 5 minutes before I started writing this post, I threw in a backdrop, it makes the whole thing seem a lot less plain then the stark black that the level is drawn on. I'm not sure if this will end up in release, but I'm definitely looking into the possibilities I have with such a system.

Here's a screenshot of how the game looks now.


Whew, that's a lot of stuff for one week. Things are really going well. Every time I'm doing other things (such as StarCraft 2, gotta get Master League) I'm already looking forward to working on this bad boy again, so that's nice for a change. Let's see how the next week pans out.

See you then!

No comments: