Monday, January 17, 2011

Progression through simplification

Since my last post I've been working on CubeWars whenever I had the time to spare. It's a really fun little project that's shaping up to be quite a cool game whenever a release will be made. I have found that working on something that's easy to progress is a lot more fun then shaping unwieldy projects with a lot of aspects that one would need to be concerned about.

I think, so far, that this project is going really well. We'll see within what time frame I manage a release and use that, along with the quality of said release, as a benchmark for the effectivity of using the simplification of a project as a tool to reach milestones. I'll even do a retrospective look once the game is all done and I can't think of anything to add or take away from it any more. Perhaps we can learn a thing or 2 about motivations and work flow management.

As long as I keep at this, I'll do a weekly update on things, which should probably be monday evening, so right around now. Feel free to check back then. Now here's the changelog I kept since the last post, and another screenshot.

See you next week!



CubeWars
by: Nino v.d. Mark

v 0.3 (unreleased)
- Tweaks to improve the player's appearance
- Box collisions work now. You can collide with everything.
- Lots of fixes to the box collisions to make it infallible.
- Tile's now have 4 solid states: None, Platform, (Vertical) HalfBlock and Solid
- Another tile drawn, it kind of looks like a treetrunk.

V 0.2 (unreleased)
- Improved physics accuracy on platforms
- Releasing the jump button early now properly reduces maximum jump height
- General physics behaviour tweaks
- Object facing added, loaded from secondary fobjects.bmp file
- Levels are now loaded from RCF files
- Level tile array size now depends on need as indicated by level file
- Fixed collision state properly reporting on Debug HUD

V 0.1 (undated)
- Basic player, simple physics and interaction with level tiles

No comments: