Saturday, May 10, 2008

Files and datastructures

He's coming up on the goal... he shoots... he scores!

SDLRogue now succesfully loads config data (& performance regulatory variables), tileset data (collidability only at the moment) and all level related data (tiles, objects and all that) from individual files. That means that I now have a level format! In the near future I'll probably create a level editor so I can make all my content with an easy to use utility. I might also release the level editor prior to the game itself to see if any of the people interested in this project can come up with neat level designs... oh and for bug testing... ofcourse...

I also adjusted my tileset/object/etc. datastructures. In the past they used an X and Y coordinate to indicate in which room they where, but since I use 'teleporters' to transport the player from one room to another, this method is bound to limit level builders and potentially make stuff a LOT more complicated then it needs to be. So now it's a single-coordinate array that indicates the room number.

So I suppose I should get some combat working now right? Well I guess... since you insist... I can't really give you an estimate on when it'll be done but I promise to get on it the coming week.

Updates will henceforth be posted in the weekends (with sunday as the latest possible day to do so). So be sure to check back weekly for the lowdown on progress!

No comments: