Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Design work

These past 2 weeks I mostly spent on design work. That is also part of the reason that I missed last week's update, nothing much happened.

In any event, I've worked out how to, practically, work out this infrastructure. I'll end up having a single pointer array of type 'dynamic_actor' which the game will walk through every cycle. Each entry will refer to an entry in object arrays of all the derived classes, which are the actual dynamic_actors (such as Door or TurretBullet). They will inherit some basic function calls, such as query() or playercollides(), which can be called from the main loop. In addition to those they will have functions depending on how each of them functions. So a Turret gun will have a shoot() function and Door will have open() and close() functions etc.

It took a little while, but I've got some basic designs laid out on how to do all that internally (and do it well, mind you) so I'm beginning implementation in the coming week.

Some time was also spent on the next iteration of Project: SPACE. I've mostly been laying out how I want to do all the objects and how the application will be laid out entirely, and once I feel good about the general outline of the whole thing I'll start writing code. I intend to take 'Design then Build' pretty seriously for this one because I feel that it helps get everything right from the get-go, which saves me a lot of work later.

Also, my priority is still CubeWars, so it's no big deal if I get distracted because of how slow that's going.

Finally, there's now a twitter feed on the blog. Not all of my tweets are on the topic of Backyard Interactive, but it's not like I tweet that often :)

See you next week!

No comments: