Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The "Meh" Principle

So the past 2 weeks haven't been very productive code-wise. I've written very little actual code and most of the things I did were bug fixes to behaviour that was already in place. The 2 things that are currently on my todo list are "Implementing Doors w/ switches" and "Rewrite graphical interface". The former is a lot more practical so we're going to skip it for today's exercise and move on to felon #2.

Currently I don't feel much for the task of (partially) rewriting my graphical interface implementation. It takes a lot of time, it doesn't yield very tangible results (not that anyone but me will see) and it's also a bit more taxing cerebrally. Where most of the things I work on for CubeWars are things that simply need to be written (because the implementation is straightforward) it seems that topics that require a lot of forethought and planning are less interesting some how. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love problem solving. I love it when a good design allows for some great code and I love to go through that process, but because it's results are not highly visible, it's not as exciting to work on.

This is, of course, not anything really new. I knew that this would be the hardest part, which is why this project's process is aimed at short-term results with the aim to keep my motivation up. So I'll be thinking about how to circumvent this so it becomes more manageable. I'll keep coming back to my codebase, even for silly things, to keep it on the brain, and hopefully I'll come up with a brilliant solution for this problem in due time.

Also, as a sidenote, I'll be updating on Tuesdays from now on, because I have a thing on Monday.

That's right, I have a thing.

Things are cool.

See you next week!

No comments: