Thursday, February 5, 2009

And... we're moved!!

Woo! I'm officially moved in now! And I got my internet connection!

I tell ya, life without internet is really weird... I didn't realize how important it is to me until I had to do without for a week.

In any event, I've done some work on SDL-Rogue, unlike my expectations, and I glad to say that I finished most, if not all, of the preliminary work. The 'encounter' now triggers creation of a monster somewhere in the area where you can encounter them (which I refer to as encounter zones). The monster is then created by the specifications in it's prototype, which is loaded from a separate data file.

Depending on what level the monster is, it is given different attributes, though this won't be implemented until I've done the player's leveling math. I'll be using that as a reference because some monsters are meant to level on par with the player and others faster or slower, so I'll need the player's leveling code to base the monsters' off. It's no big deal anyway, because when the player doesn't level, the monsters don't need to.

So the next few weeks will be spent on the combat procedure. I've already done some minor work there but there's still a lot to be done, and with my track record of underestimating these tasks... it could take a while.

I'm glad to be able to update on mondays again, and I'll talk about the data file format I've created next week, so you'll have at least that to look forward to.

Until then!

No comments: